- Change each alternate access mapping for your MOSS/WSS deployment in Central Administration: Browse to Central Admin > Operation > Alternate Access Mappings and change each link to new server name
- Use following STSADM command to rename server
stsadm -o renameserver -newservername
- Now rename the machine / server on which you hosted SharePoint by right click on My Computer > Properties > Computer Name > Change
- Then reboot the server
- After reboot, open command prompt and run following command
stsadm -o updatefarmcredentials -userlogin
-password -iisreset /noforce
- Check all application pool identities in IIS and update if old machine name is still there.
- If you already have a search index drops this, and rebuild it.
- That’s it, Your server is now renamed.